Saturday, September 4, 2010

Issue 1

Issue 1 
Are Americans Values Shaped by the Mass Media?
Are American values shaped by the mass media? I say in many ways yes, the values of Americans are shaped by mass media. However I feel that mass media has also been shaped by Americans. In America today there are four major ways to listen to the mass media: internet, television, radio and newspaper. I feel that media influences society in every aspect wether it is encouraging shopping or to share information on supporting children in Africa or broadcasting a up and coming music star. On September 11, 2001 most broadcasting companies came together and united Americans. However over the next nine years the mass media companies have all changed there opinions on the war and what is the next “right” move to make. I feel that when there is free press there will always be people who take advantage of the truth and bend it to strengthen their own opinion/argument towards the audience. Most of the media today, reports news that they feel statistically will get them the most audience attention then in return the most revenue through advertisement. Money is what makes our world go round. Now I am not saying all media does is try to make money, but I would say 95% of the time making money is the name of the game. I think most broadcasting companies have hidden political agendas as well. As a fellow American I feel we must know or do our best to figure out these companies political agendas. Mass Media has it’s pros and cons, but I would much rather have freedom of the press then none at all. Americans values have been shaped by the media and the media has been shaped by Americans. It is just a never ending cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment