Friday, September 24, 2010

Blog 7 Can Media Regain Public Trust?


Can the media regain public trust? There is really only two answers to this Yes it can or No it cannot regain trust. What is trust? Dictionary.com defines trust as, "reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing." Now what is trust in the media? To me trust is actual factual non-biased news. News that has no twists or hidden information. John Hockenberry worked for Dateline NBC, he says the "fear of corporate owners, of audience response, and of technology cripples authentic journalism" pg 150.  Now Hockenberry does bring up a valid point, the credibility of journalism is hard because there is such a large audience and a lot of pressure to "razel-dazel" the viewers. I personally think most media networks try to keep integrity however I do not like the late night shows. They are just not for me, nor have I ever willingly watched one before this class. Michael Schudson thinks Yes, media can regain public trust. Schudson argues, "that although news is essential for democracy, the behavior of journalists make them unpopular. Journalists' conflict orientation, obsession with facts and events, and 'in-you-face' interviewing are what make journalism effective and essential. And it is those behaviors that should restore faith in journalism" pg 150. I think Schudson has some truth to his argument as well, I do feel like I can trust some of the media like for 60 Minuets, they really do get "all up in people's business" It makes me feel like I can really trust what they broadcast. Trust takes along time to build and with one lie or bad choice you can loose all you credibility with someone. I don't think the media will ever regain its public trust, however it won't loose the trust it has now. It will remain the same. Some of the public will trust and put their faith in media and some will never trust it. Then there is always the people in the middle like me who sometimes trust the truth but can question it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment