Friday, September 10, 2010

Blog 3 "Does fake news mislead the public?"


"Does Fake News Mislead the Public"

Did you know that about "40 percent of the public believe that news is biased in favor of one of the two parties... matched by 40 percent who say there is no bias" pg 174. With more and more Americans thinking that the mainstream media is biased, they have been turning away from the traditional media and turning to more comical sources such as "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"pg173.  Shows such as that often do mislead the general public, I know this because some of the news that the show airs doesn't make it onto the BBC, NPR or non-biased media outlets. This link gives a quick glimpse into that area, please click the button --  Jon Stewart -- The Daily Show, Targets "groups mostly in the 18-35 year old range" link 1.  I feel that the show tells stories in very personable ways to sway the audience. The show does have factual evidence but throws in a lot of comical humor.  In some ways this could be considered fake news because there is "other parts" built around the news, now does it mislead all of the public I would have to argue no, it does not. I think if anything it prompts the audience to want to find out more about whatever topic is up for debate. Ted Anthony says "It makes you look into the eye of America through a different window.. He says 'its not a primary source of news but finds it a very very reasonable source of news and that's a reasonable conclusion" link2.  The question still remains does fake news mislead the public? I say yes in many cases it does mislead the public. However, when I watch any comical shows it does prompt me to get off my butt and look into a matter, such as health care reform. I have actually done research now only because I have been curious what is actually going on with that whole bill and reform. 

My general overall conclusion is in many ways yes fake news misleads the public, however I feel it must get audience's more interested in learning and researching a news subject themselves, so it is helpful to the country as well as entertaining.  I would not use a comical sources as my main means of news ever nor would I recommend it to any American. 



link 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWWAZ785yQ
link2 Assistant Managing Editor, the Associated Press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWWAZ785y

No comments:

Post a Comment