Monday, November 15, 2010

Blog 14 Does Media represent a realistic image of Arabs?


Does media represent a realistic image of Arabs? There are really only two answers to this question Yes or No. In the book Taking Sides by Alexander Hanson, describes both of the issues summaries. 
The Yes view describes how most of the Arab bloggers are challenged by stereotypes. The Yes view also deems the media to put a negative spin on the image of Arabic people. Now the opposite view written by Jack Shaheen, "He discusses how Hollywood's images influence politicians and citizens and contribute to public opinion. 
I believe that the media does not represent a realistic image of Arabs. Although I might not agree with all of the views of their culture I do not think they are all terrorists. People are people and I do feel that media distorts the image of them as regular people. Media does not down play or distort the image of Hindus or Buddhists or Christians as much as they distort the image of Arabs. I have come to realize even though I do not agree with all of their life style they are people and I should not lump them together as a general person or society because they are individuals who all hold different view points and feelings. So NO media does not present a realistic image of Arabs. 

1 comment: